Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Savor the Flavor of the Holidays With These Gingerbread Bites

The following post was originally featured on Running to the Kitchen and written by Gina Matsoukas, who is part of POPSUGAR Select Fitness.

I used to make a lot of balls/bites/snacks rolled into circular form . . . whatever you want to call them. My favorite, however, is ballz.

I would pop them throughout the day whenever I was (ironically) too busy cooking, styling, photographing other food to eat, before a workout, after a workout, while making dinner and starving, before bed as dessert, seriously . . . all the time.

And then I just randomly stopped for no particular reason.

But, I missed my balls.

So earlier this Fall I made pumpkin spice chocolate chip bites which seemed to be a big hit (and definitely were in my house as about five batches were made) and now, we're doing gingerbread chocolate chip bites.

If I thought I loved the pumpkin ones, these are even better.

Gingery, spicy, chocolaty, chewy, and (relatively) healthy!

Honestly, I'd rather eat these than the loads of red and green food-colored, candy-stuffed cookie concoctions I'm seeing everywhere lately.

Real food for the win.

Gingerbread Chocolate Chip Bites

Ingredients

1 cup oats
1/2 cup pecans
4 medjool dates, pitted
1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1/4 cup crystallized ginger
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cloves
Pinch of kosher salt
2 1/2 tablespoons molasses
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips

Directions

  1. Combine the oats, pecans, and dates in a food processor, and process until finely chopped.
  2. Add the crystallized ginger, flax, chia seeds, spices, and molasses, and pulse until fully combined and mixture can be "pinched together" and hold its shape.
  3. Transfer mixture to a bowl, and fold in the chocolate chips.
  4. Roll the mixture into balls.
  5. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment