Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Preparing for the Appalachian Trail: Event vs. Training

Mentally and Physically Training for the Trail


I find it difficult to describe the training plan I established to thru hike the Appalachian Trail (AT). As a retired psychotherapist I am a highly conceptual and an insight oriented individual. So, simply stated, I perceive/conceptualize training as the event and the event as continued training. I've seen many clients present as open to training but I also see the concurrent thought that training is work and they perceive the event as some type of reward for the work they did. And this separation in concepts - training vs event - is what has led many clients to stop training.Post3_preparing for the hike


However, in the spirit of this blog I understand most readers are more interested in the behavioral side of the training. In training terms, I used a sports specific training plan accompanied by the proven National Federation of Professional Trainers (NFPT) approach to a push, pull, squat fitness routine.


Respecting Recovery


My personal training plan begins, believe it or not, with addressing the issue of recovery. Not typical huh?? No matter whether I was training in a gym setting or actually hiking I always begin by warming up, typically using basic calisthenics (jumping jacks, toe touches, windmills etc). I even conceptualize the warm up as the beginning of recovery. A warm set of muscles, not only enhances the overall workout, but prevents already tight muscles from getting tighter. I incorporated brief, mild stretching during both cardio and resistance training. Bear in mind, I do the in session stretching to decrease the amount of time I have to stretch post workout. I can assure you I am a post workout stretching advocate. Especially for older clients. Keep in mind I am a trainer/athlete in his 60s.


compression clothesWhether training in the gym or hiking I wear compression clothing because I advocate the fact that compression clothing is in a sense a way to recover even while in the middle of the workout or hike. I then sleep, as I will on the trail, in copper infused compression clothing. I'm not suggesting this approach will work for everyone or every older client, but I can tell you it works for me.


Functionally Training for the Trail


When sports specific training, I incorporated several routines in my overall plan. When I trail hiked, I was fully dressed and equipped, the same way I will be dressed and equipped to hike the AT. When highway hiking, I hiked with my athletic weight vest holding 30-40 lbs of weight. I found when hiking with the weight vest I greatly enhanced the development of the small spinal erector muscles that most persons, including trainers, neglect.

It mattered not that I was gym training, highway hiking with weight vest, or actually hiking in the mountains of my beloved Northern Colorado, I daily performed 150 chair squats, 100 standing heel/toe raises, tricep extensions, bicep curls (using kettlebells - never more than 25 lbs). Additionally, I performed 10 minutes plank holding (30 seconds times 20 holds with a full 30 second rest between holds). core muscle fin


As a trainer and psychotherapist I embrace the idea it begins with the CORE or middle CHAKRA. As a side note, many people asked me, after returning from hiking the Inca Trail, what muscle groups I found most challenged or affected? It wasn't my legs or my arms - it was my CORE, which as a reminder includes the lower back.



In summary, when I get up on the morning of the 15th of February, my body will perceive I'm about to do what I do everyday, not a six month, 2200 plus mile hike that I'm taking it on. My advice - see your own training as the event and the event as continued training.


Trail view3You can "hike" with me via my satellite tracker. Instructions provided in a future post...watch for it, I'm looking forward to you being a part of my journey!


Be well, be fit


No Man Walking


*Catch up with Jim's Journey with these posts that lead up to the big day:


1 - NFPT Trainer and Expedition Hiker: Follow His Journey on the AT


2 - No Man Walking. My Sedentary Past to My Appalachian Future.


The post Preparing for the Appalachian Trail: Event vs. Training appeared first on The NFPT Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment